Products --- from SoftShell Computer Services, Inc.
[ Home | Back to Products Main Page]
PC MARS is a single entry accounting program for IBM PC compatible computers running under MS DOS. It is the first program introduced by
SoftShell. PC MARS keeps the individual month in memory for fast operation. We have designed PC MARS to be an easy-to-use program, following
the hand-held book system used by the Iowa Farm Business Association. PC MARS is similar to MARS (Monthly Accounting & Reporting System) in
many ways, with similar coding breakdown, standard enterprises, and an emphasis on monthly reporting. Using your computer on the farm gives you
instant access to your records, with printouts available at your command. You choose which categories (account codes) to use. You also choose to what
degree you divide your farm into separate enterprises. The data base you thereby create will become more and more useful as time passes.
- It is a cash accounting system
- It will reconcile with bank balances and loan balances.
- Reports can be printed at any time
- It will print your checks on preprinted forms and also the stubs
- The program is easy to operate
- You select you account code list from the 222 built-in chart of accounts
- You can divide you farm into separate enterprises and keep separate accounts on each - up to 76 enterprises.
- Listing for 304 commonly used vendors
- Listing for 76 commonly used descriptions
- Handles up to 76 employees with deductions calculated automatically
- You can track 10 different bank and 10 asset accounts
- It has a built in budget and cash flow feature.
- Data entry facilitated by appropriate codes, enterprises, vendors, etc. being displayed on the screen when needed
- It will handle up to 21 different line items per check or deposit
- Additional account codes, enterprises, vendors and descriptions may be added while entering data.
- Includes net worth calculation and printout
- Many options available during data entry which include:
- Enter Expense Transactions
- Enter Income Transactions
- Enter Complex Transactions
- Enter Payroll Transactions
- Account Code and Bank Account Transfers
- Search/Change/Delete information
- Browse through month's transactions
- Clear Checks and Deposits
- Many different report menu options may be printed. They include:
- Unsorted Entry Journal
- Year to Date Summary Report
- Cash Income Statement
- Monthly Detail Report
- Check Register/Balancer
- Bank, Asset and Loan Balance Report
- Detail Report - Selected Items
- Enterprise Reports (Detailed, Summary and Multiple Enterprises)
- Year to Date Cash flow Format by month or quarter
- Detailed Loan Report
- Labor Reports (6 formats)
- Year End Detail / Tax Preparation
- Year End Summary Report
- Livestock Resale Report
- Vendor Reports with "1099 vendors only" option
- Cash flow Projection Reports (4 formats)
- Schedule F Report (Iowa only)
Requirements and Limits
- IBM PC compatible computer with hard drive recommended
- 640K memory or more (560K free conventional memory)
- Epson dot-matrix or true compatible
- HP compatible laser or inkjet using PCL language resident ON PRINTER
- Selected other inkjet printers that print in MS DOS mode.
- Supports a check printer and report printer simultaneously
- Will handle approximately 1000 line items/month
Below is listed the various versions available with a brief description of the major differences between them.
- Iowa/Regular Codes Version 2.7
- Account codes for members of IFBA and general usage/other states)
- MSD Version 2.7
- Account codes for Minnesota/ South Dakota users
- Can upload to Finpak
- Illinois FBFM Version 2.7
- Account codes and grouping for members of Illinois Farm Business Farm Management (FBFM)
- Includes custom Code Group Totals Report for members of IL FBFM
- Small Business Version 2.7
- All account codes are modifiable
- Can handle up to 35 bank/asset accounts
- Enterprises can be set up as "funds" with balance tracking and reporting options available
- Additional enterprise and budget reporting options
- Can handle up to 1400 line items per month
- Demo versions available
Companion Products / Enhancements
- $225 - Members of Iowa Farm Business Association
- $350 - non-members of Iowa Farm Business Association
PC MARS version 2.7 is now available for Iowa, MSD, Illinois, and Small Business versions. The major improvements/enhancements are listed below.
All versions are Y2K and Pentium II compatible, and will work with your old data made with prior versions of Pc Mars.
- An easy way to double the description size
- The option to print most of the reports to a text file in a dedicated subdirectory (folder). This way MS WORKS or MS WORD can easily pick up
the report, and print it to a Windows printer
- Fifty more account codes that you can activate and use (both farm and non-farm). All of these new account codes can have the wording changed.
- Each vendor have a place for a Federal ID number. Loan vendors also have a place for interest rate.
- Vendor printout has option to print Federal ID numbers
- You can designate 38 vendors as the most important ones, so they can appear on the first vendor (help) screen. These designated vendors will
also be at the beginning of the vendor list when you sort them.
- The browse screen highlights the individual entry line that you are examining.
- The program uses expanded memory, so that you do not have to free up so much conventional memory.
- The entry limit has been increased to 1000 per month.
- Payroll have more deduction possibilities for pension, other 1, other 2, and other 3. The description for these deductions can be customized to
- Added a "Fully Expanded Labor Report" to show the above deductions
- Added an option to print Year-To-Date information on paycheck stubs.
- The vendor, account code, enterprise and description pick lists are "hot" and can be chosen using the arrow keys and enter key.
- Added an option to convert vendors to upper case.
- Added the capability to store often used, repeating transactions so that you can reuse them later.
- The maximum number of enterprises increased to 76.
- Ctrl-T key totals all line entries and plugs the result into total amount
- Regular version now includes items that were previously in the Commercial version (45 data locations, batch report printing and multiple copy
- Iowa version includes Schedule F report
- The install program for windows will create a properly set up icon on your desktop and under "programs"
- Other small improvements and tweaks
- $20 - From all previous versions (Iowa customers add sales tax)
For further information, E-Mail IFBA or E-Mail SoftShell.
This page last updated on 12/13/03